Thursday, February 13, 2014

How To Make a Fabric Valentine's Tutu {DIY}


I'm a Valentine's day fanatic! I love love love it! And I won't lie, I will be in terrible mood for days if I don't get a box of chocolates for vday ;)!

Anyway, here is a quick tutorial for a fabric tutu. I made this for Whitney so I could take some vday pictures of her in it.  I didn't realize how HARD it is to get a picture of a baby who is on the move. She doesn't want anything in her hair, or on her, and EVERYTHING distracts her.

Supplies:


  • 1/2 yard of each fabric (way more than enough, but better safe than sorry)
  • Inch Elastic (measure your baby's waist)
  • Sewing Machine (or needle and thread, or just a knot)
  • Scissors
Tutorial:

Measure how long you want the tutu to come down on your baby or toddler and double that
Cut 40 strips 2" wide by double the length you measured (you may need a few more or less)
Then half the strip and cut the bottom diagonally (like picture below)


Measure your baby's waist and add an inch, then cut your elastic accordingly
Sew or tie the ends of the elastic together (like picture below)
Put your elastic around something firm, I like to use a book
Start tying your fabric on to your elastic until you have gone all the way around.
First half your strip, then make a little loop behind the elastic (like picture below)



Then take the ends of your strip and loop them through and pull your fabric down



Then push the knots together until you fill the elastic and you are done.









0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...